When Sam was born, Mrs. Baker, a neighbor of ours, presented me with this beautiful hand-knitted blanket. It is soft and warm in a way that none of the other blankets I have ever owned has been. I absolutely loved it and marvelled that a neighbor who didn't know me all that well would spend countless (and I do mean countless) hours tediously hand-knitting this blanket with it's intricate knit/purl design. (I don't think that raised design shows in the photo, but it's there.) Mrs. Baker's blanket has been well used and washed many times and it's still my favorite small blanket. (Sam, it is yours someday whenever you want it!)
Being inspired by that, but not having the skill or patience level of Mrs. Baker, I decided to make a crocheted blanket for the family of the newest grandchild who will soon be born. I did not count the hours spent on this blanket, but they were many, and it was a labor of love...I am hoping that this soft, warm blanket will be as comforting as a hug to those who need it. With it's dense, almost thermal weave it certainly kept my lap cozy and warm while I worked on it.
Years later, Mrs. Baker and I both live in different homes. We don't stay in touch, but we do see each other from time to time, usually at the library, and it's always a pleasure to chat briefly with her. Thank you Mrs. Baker, for the blanket, and for demonstrating such wonderful Christian love to your neighbors. I wish you could see this post.


2 comments:
Wow. I am impressed with the talents of both you and Mrs. Baker. Beautiful blankets. Truly a legacy.
At first when I glanced at this post I thought you made the first blanket and I thought, "Wow. That looks EXACTLY like that blanket they used to have!" Haha. I guess that's because it IS that same blanket. :) The new one looks great too. I'm sure it will be well-loved.
Post a Comment