Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Walk in the Park

Here's another pastel I experimented with, painting on a dark red paper and letting lots of that foundation color peek through. I almost decided not to share it here, especially when Ken looked at it and asked where that creek was. Creek? And you thought that's what it is, too, right? Well, it's a pathway through a park that we visited in Vancouver last spring. My artistic skills need work....lots of it, but I'm up for the challenge.

A Walk in the Park 8 x 10 pastel on red paper

Anyway, there are lots of things I like about this piece, and some parts of it that make me cringe. I may decide to do it again sometime soon and try another interpretation. What do you like about it? I would genuinely like to hear your thoughts, because it does encourage me to keep working and improving.

Kathy, your comments always make me smile....thank you! :)

3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

No, it doesn't look like a creek, because it's too level - a creek would have more of an elevation drop/change. But it's a little blah for a path, too. Maybe it needs a person (walking away, so you don't have to do the face...)? Haha. The bushes really do look like bushes, and I like the red background showing through. I never would have thought to work on a dark background like that.

Dorothy said...

Ha ha! In the photo the path is really boring...it's just pavement. I tried to add a little light reflections onto it, and it still looks blah. Maybe I should have changed it to a dirt trail, with rocks and grasses, etc. Might be a little more interesting. :)

Beth said...

I thought path at first glance. I do like that you are sharing your art. Your much more talented then I. It reminds me of those animal rocks you have done in the past.