Dear Kitchen Table,
It was quite a week, wasn't it? You were in the midst of it the whole time, and I am so grateful for your presence and stability. You supported every family meal and never complained about the leftover drips of applesauce or spaghettios that eventually got cleaned off in time for the next activity. Your dependable surface was used for meals, writing, stacking laundry, (and so many other stack-able things!) as well as the perfect gathering place for creative activities.
I am so grateful to you and your supporting cast of chairs. And I'm also thankful for the youth carseat that doubled as a booster chair for Charlotte all week. The bungee cords held it in place marvelously.
You probably worried a little when the meat tenderizer was enthusiastically applied to that pile of playdough, but no harm was done since I was able to re-direct the artist quickly enough. But didn't you enjoy hearing the youthful chatter and giggles? I sure did!
Last night I felt a little wistful. The youngsters have gone on to new adventures, and your surface is once again sprinkled with only grandparent litter: computer laptops, pen and paper, camera, napkins, and a cell phone. Ah, but there was a little green sippy cup with leftover apple juice there, too. A sweet, sweet reminder of good times. Thank you, dear Table, for a great week. It would have been so much more difficult without you.





2 comments:
Thank goodness for reliable kitchen tables. I hope Andrew and Michelle and family are able to settle in easily.
What a lovely metaphor. I especially like the "supporting cast of chairs." Such beautiful little ones, so many happy memories. Thank you for sharing!
Post a Comment