What a fine day. (insert quiet *sigh* here) No commitments except to whatever we wanted to do. So we went for a walk, then joined the weekend throng at Bob's Red Mill and Killer Dave's Bread shop, where we stocked up on some of our favorite things, such as red adzuki beans, soy curls, tri-colored peppercorns, various grains, and several loaves of Dave's awesome breads.
After lunch Ken and I delved into our own creative endeavors. Ken has been anticipating playing with a new wood-working tool that is parked in Kevin's shop, so that's what he did for several hours, while I cozied up with my hook and yarn. Below is what remains of several pine sticks after a few turns on the lathe. These are practice runs to see how the machine works. Kind of fun looking, aren't they? Wonder what he should make for real?
I am already re-designing this imitation converse pattern. The creator specified a certain stitch through many parts of the construction that was incredibly tedious. (crochet in the single loop behind the back loops) Are you kidding me? I know what she meant, and I have done it enough to realize it is extremely fiddly and painstaking, but the result of the stitch is effective in her design. Through experimentation I realized that I could get the very same effect with a much simpler back post stitch. Thank goodness, or I would never make these again! I learn something new every time. :)


1 comment:
Mark is impressed (and a little jealous). Cute booties! I never learned anything beyond single and double crochet...and that was usually in chains. Good for you to improve on the pattern and make it more workable.
Post a Comment