Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Anticipating a Good Read

I'm excited! I found an old friend at the library yesterday and I can hardly wait to get reacquainted! Nope, I'm not talking about a real person, although that would be delightful, too, but this time it's a book. While wandering through the stacks I was trying to think of something fun to read and suddenly my mind bubbled up with this thought:

Brain: "Hey, remember that book you read a long time ago...a collection of little writings about life....I think it was called: Everything I need to know...?"

Me: "Who wrote it?"

Brain:"Um...I have no idea. But remember how much fun it was to read? Oh, go find it, it must be here somewhere!"

Me: "You're right. I remember getting it from this library. Only it was in the old building. Hey, I even remember where I was standing when I found it for the first time! Isn't that cool? Alright, here's the computer....I'll add some key words in the search frame and see what I come up with..."

Brain:"Yippee!"

Me: "Yep, here it is, only I got the title a little wrong. It's by Robert Fulghum and it's called: All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarden. Okay, here it is on the shelf and we're ready to go!"

Brain: "I can't wait....!"

Me, too. I read this book for the first time back when my children were very little. I remember thoroughly enjoying the short essays about life and everyday things. In fact I remember wishing to myself: "I wish I could write just like this." So, I have the book on my library shelf, and I'm ready to read, but first there's this little matter of the "have to's" this morning....you know....the other things that I must do first before I can indulge in pleasure readings.

It's okay, though. Anticipation is not such a bad thing. I wonder if I'll like it as much this time as the first time...now that I'm more "grown up"?


3 comments:

Becky said...

I read this for the first time in high school. I now own a copy :)

Dorothy said...

I just read the opening chapter and I LOVE IT! And since every section is only a couple pages long, I'll be able to read one at a time, then run do other things and enjoy thinking about it while I go.

I have a feeling I will want to buy a copy to place on my shelves permanently, too.

Kathy Haynie said...

I'll bet you'd really enjoy "The Four Agreements," too. Have fun with the old friend!