Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fun in my Sewing Room

Last week I made a couple little dresses for the double A girls in our family. I had other plans for their older brother, so I took measurements while they were all here one day. The girls were thrilled with their dresses, but what I found so very sweet was when we were loading the kids in the car, Aiden said, "Thank you, Dee Dee, for pretty dresses for the Sisters." Awwwww! So of course, I had to get started on something for him really quick.

Shorts seemed like a good answer to the question: "what do I make for little boys?" They are easy and quick, and can be made with small pieces of fun colorful fabrics. I'm all about thrifty and economical, so most of what I make is from little bits of this and that which I already have.

The first pair of pull-on shorts is a dinosaur theme. Then I was stumped. Almost everything I have in my stash is "girly". Hey, I'm wondering who made these rules anyway? Why CAN'T a boy wear fabrics that are delicate and beautiful? Boys grow up to be gardeners, too, so why can't they wear pretty flowers? Anyway, I did actually make a trip to the fabric store and bought a remnant piece of cotton printed with funny farm animals. Cost me all of a couple dollars. Here are the two pair of shorts that I finished:


Now, there was a little bit of that fabric left over, and I wanted to use it. What about matching dresses for the two Sisters? A quick bit of measuring told me there wasn't enough fabric. Hmmm....but I did have a little bit of polka dot that "kind of" got along well with the farm animals. I decided to do it anyway. The combination made me laugh, and since I know the girls have a sense of humor, I'm pretty sure they'll love it, too! Here they are in all their farm glory! :


Lastly, I made another little number with pretty flowers. Just a basic darling dress.

Well, that's it for now. I've got some other projects in my head that I'll be working on next. As long as it's so rainy, I may as well enjoy my time inside!

3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

What fun. It's so satisfying to create little clothes for the wonderful little people in our lives. These are beautiful. Hooray for rainy days!

Katie Lewis said...

I swear I just left a comment, but maybe I didn't type in the word verification or something. Anyway, love those shorts. They remind me of the Hawaiian print shorts that Ken used to wear when we all went camping. :) And I love that dainty little yellow trim near the bottom of the last dress. So sweet. It's snowing today, so maybe I'll cozy up and do some sewing too.

JuliaKoponick said...

They all look great!! Not quite as good as the dress you made for Maddy, but close! Thanks for making such a beautiful dress for her! She really loves it.