Thursday, March 18, 2010

Instead of Pins


One of the things I used to dread about sewing was having to pin pattern pieces to the fabric. Well, I haven't done that in years! When I told my hubby that I wanted some "pattern weights", he found these great washers at the hardware store for about 30 cents each. Oh my, I love using them! Then to make things even easier, I almost always cut out my pieces using a rotary cutter. So now the part I disliked the most goes very quick and easy! Just thought I'd pass this along for any new sewers out there who'd like to ditch the pins when cutting out your next project.

4 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

I've raided the silverware drawer for years--my sister-in-law taught me that butter knives can also work for pattern weights. You're right - so much easier than pins. But I still have to pin if it's a slippery fabric.

Katie Lewis said...

Seriously. Although in my sewing classes at BYU I at least learned how to pin things quickly without having to lift up the fabric, so it's not so bad now. But someday when I have the space to lay everything out on a tabletop, I am definitely going to give this a try.

Kate said...

No more pricking the finger & falling asleep for a hundred years or pinning to the carpet(big quilt projects). Thanks for sharing a great idea!!

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Hmmmm...maybe I need to go get some. I hate pinning too. My mom always used butter knives, but our knives are of a shape they don't lay flat enough.