By Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon "Chronicles the remarkable and inspiring adventures of two Vancouver writers as they make a year-long attempt to eat only food grown and produced within a 100-mile radius of their apartment..."
When I turned the last page in this book I went to the fridge and looked at my eggs and milk. Produced in Portland, OR. So far, so good! This book was an eye-opener for me and I'm thinking a lot more about what we eat (and drink!) and how far it traveled to reach my kitchen. Mostly I came away with the feelings of wanting to eat more whole foods, instead of so much processed stuff. I think I'll plant more produce this year, as well as visit our farmers market more often to support the local growers. (which is now closed for the year, but is open May through October...a nice long season). Becky loaned me her copy of this book, and I'll be passing it on to Geniel, but I'm sure it can be found in any library. This kind of education about what we eat and where it comes from is good for people to think about.
1 comment:
I'm happy to see you enjoyed the book! I originally passed it on to Becky. John didn't read it, but he absorbed the idea from me, and likes to brag whenever he has a 100 mile meal.
Post a Comment