Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Sweetness to the Soul


Saturday was a wonderfully sweet, normal day that I want to remember. All morning I thought of my granddaughters in Virginia as I sewed a fun Christmas surprise for them. Then my afternoon was spent only a few miles away with three other grandchildren. Those little ones received me with open arms and it was pure joy to see their smiles, watch them play, and yes, even help dry a tear or two. The evening back at home was a quiet one, since Ken was gone until very late helping Sam with plumbing issues in their new home. I read, listened to lovely Christmas music, and made a comforting pot of turkey and vegetable soup to enjoy now and Sunday afternoon.

I spent much time choosing this particular print depicting the Savior, which is framed and hung above our mantel. The artwork evokes in me feelings of love, peace and gratitude. It reminds me that through the difficulties that life can present, it is still necessary to pay attention to the gifts that are given every day. As an example, our nephew was in a terrible accident last week, but his immediate family is consistently aware of the blessings that have and are occurring daily during this trial. They are hurting, but still take the time to say thank you. Their example inspires me to pause this morning and simply express gratitude for a normal day....one that filled my soul with the sweetness of love. I suppose that sounds very cliché, but I don't know any other way to describe it. I am grateful.

No comments: