I guess most of you know that the library is one of my favorite places to visit, and it's not uncommon for me to be there 2 or even 3 times a week if a book I've placed on hold has come in. The librarians know me on sight and will often have the hold pulled and waiting for me before they even look at my card. It's nice that way. There's one librarian, however, that is not a warm fuzzy kind of person. He's a big guy who has been there a few years now, but unlike the other employees, he NEVER has anything to say to patrons unless he is answering a direct question. I'm not put off by it... it's just his way. He isn't particularly rude, he just isn't talkative.Which is why I was so surprised when I stopped by to pick up this newly published book called Deer Resistant Landscaping, and he actually spoke to me! He laid the book upon the countertop to process it, glanced at the cover, and suddenly announced, "My money's on the deer." Wow! He spoke to me! And then, when I responded positively, we actually had a little conversation about deer. I told him that my tomato plants this past summer had done wonderfully and the deer didn't bother them at all. He replied, "They're just setting you up.... they're waiting until you have your guard down...". How funny. It took a book about gardening and deer to initiate conversation with this man! You just never know. :)
1 comment:
Who knew there were bets being placed on your yard? :) My money's on Ken. Fun to break through the ice with someone...wonder if he'll talk again, or go back to his silent ways...
Post a Comment