Friday, February 12, 2010

Spelt Trials: Banana Bread


I tried a Vegan quick bread recipe I found on the internet yesterday. The only sweetening in it is from the fruit, yet it was very delicious and didn't taste much like bananas at all. Here's the recipe:

1/2 Cup Unsweetened Soy Milk
2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed
2 Cups Whole Grain Spelt Flour
1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
1-1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Oil
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 or 4 Ripe Bananas, Mashed (about 1-1/2 cups mashed)
1/2 cup raisins

Mix the wet ingredients, then blend the dry ingredients and stir into the wet mixture. Spoon into a greased bread pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes or until it tests done. Cool in the pan 10-15 minutes before removing.

Next time I'm going to trying using applesauce in place of the bananas to see what happens. :)

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

I'd try it with applesauce...Mark would love that.