
I rode the Max train into downtown Portland yesterday for a Seminary and Institute Support Specialist Training day. The presentations were great, we were treated to lunch at McMennamins, and it was fun to visit with the other specialists who do the same things I do in various locations around the greater Portland area.
Riding the Max to town and back was very interesting. What an incredible variety of people I saw on the trains and platforms! I wondered about their lives and the stories they could tell of the things they have witnessed and experienced. Which led me to think of my own life. I suppose some would think my life story is a bit of a fairy tale since I had a happy childhood, married a wonderful man who is still my best friend, gave birth to and raised five outstanding children, and only worked outside the home as much as I wanted to. I have been healthy enough to enjoy an active lifestyle, and my husband's career offers us every needful comfort and a wide variety of recreational opportunities.
My life has been everything I ever hoped for. Which leads me to wonder: Why? When there is so much of disappointment and sadness and tragedy throughout the land...why is it that I have been spared so much of that? To be sure, there have been and continue to be difficult times, but observing what others have had to deal with I am almost embarrassed at the comparative easiness of my trials.
Then I thought: This life I love might seem like a huge trial to most people! Throughout my twenties and into my thirties I sacrificed my body over and over again to give birth to my babies. Then I spent the next 20-30 years watching over them instead of pursuing other ambitions or goals. Some would think that is giving too much. Maybe most would. If I had it to do over again, however..... I would make the same choice. I have loved my life, even with the sacrifices. I am happy.
I hope the people on the trains today were happier than they appeared. There were so many sad, tired and bored looking people and I wondered how it was that they didn't seem to notice how bright and beautiful the day was. Maybe they were just wishing they could be somewhere else instead of going to work or school. I noticed a lot of wires hanging out of ears...I think maybe a lot of them WERE “somewhere else”! I hope it was sunny there, too. :)
2 comments:
Good insights, good thoughts. I like people-watching on the train, too. Glad you had such a nice day!
Thanks for the comments...I certainly appreciate the wonderful environment you and Dad provided for me. I'm glad you made the choices you did!
I'm also one of those people on the train every day (well, most of the time)...I sometimes wonder how I look to others. I try to keep a pleasant look on my face, but commuting isn't quite as exciting the 400th time. Just think of what I have waiting for me at home, though. I only hope other commuters are half as lucky. :)
Post a Comment