I woke up before my alarm went off this morning and looked out the window by my bed for several moments. It was still dark, of course, but I could see the outlines of the trees. As I looked into the darkness a little sadness started to creep into my mind and I thought about how sometimes it seems that we are trapped here on earth with so many evil forces pressing in on us from all directions. Sort of depressing thoughts, I know, but it didn't last long.
While I laid there I could discern a lightening in the sky which brightened the view and I knew that it was going to be a sunny morning. The trees somehow seemed to whisper encouragement and I realized powerfully that all the growing things were evidence of the great good that is in the world even yet.
My morning prayers were of gratitute for the good and the beautiful and all things that whisper "peace" to my soul each day. A scripture came to mind that is from the old Testament:
"They that be with us are more than they that be with them" (2 Kgs. 6:16).
How very, very true. I don't want to dwell in the darkness. Not when there is so much of light and purity to be found if I only take a few extra moments and look for it. I'm still part of the majority as long as I remember that often the very best things are not shouting for attention like the discouraging things are.
I'm really not "trapped" here on earth. I've been given a wonderful opportunity to live and learn and soak up as much of the love as I can, while pushing away the forces that try to darken my view. Today I'm going to go out and plant lettuce and spinach in some of my flower beds. If the deer discover them and have a salad for breakfast, I'll just smile and plant marigolds in their place.
2 comments:
I can picture you outdoors planting, right now. Mmmm...sunshine!
Dorothy, I just want to thank you for blogging everyday. You uplift me and help me focus on the good things of life. Sometimes I get so caught up in all the negatives of the world that I get depressed. Your daily blogs help me see the flowers and the sunshine and all the many things that bring joy into our lives. You are a joy to me! Thanks!
Post a Comment