Saturday, February 27, 2010

What shall we do today?

There's a funny little bird that wakes me up every morning just after daylight arrives. It says, "Freezer!" over and over again. Don't look at me like that. I listened to the bird call over and over to try and be able to describe it, and the word that comes closest to the two syllable whistle was "freeeeezer"! I looked out the window and couldn't spot it, then later this morning when we were walking in the woods I heard it coming from several high trees, but alas, I still couldn't get a visual identification. Anyone know which bird says "freezer"??

After the birdie wake up call, the girls arose from their own slumber and you know what? They make much louder sounds than any bird could ever hope to make. They are sharing a room while we are in town and they definitely greet each new day with eager enthusiasm.

We spent the morning being lazy. Oops, maybe I should just say we spent the morning hanging out together at home! :) We finally made a few plans, which were implemented after our woodsy walk among unidentified Freezer Birds, and lunch time with the girls.

Michelle opted to stay home with Charlotte, so the rest of us took off and our first stop was the library where Sophie sat and read to herself, and Grandpa and I each read probably 20-25 little books to Elanor. Andrew wandered around collecting books to take home and looking rather pleased that he had a little time to browse for a change while we were reading to Elanor!

Our next stop was the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum for an hour and a half. We rode up to the observatory to watch planes come in to the nearby airport, and then wandered about the museum looking at the huge variety of aircraft which were on display on the floors and suspended from the ceilings. All too soon the museum was closed (and Sophie almost didn't get to do her favorite part: the gift shop!), then we headed home for dinner, bath times, and bedtimes.




2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

I tried googling "bird call that sounds like 'freezer'" - no help. Lots of links to websites with birds IN the freezer! Darling pants on the girls - love the bright green and the red stripes. Sounds like you are having so much fun with the family!

Deb said...

How fun! They're such cute girls! Give them all hugs from us!