Hellebore: Hey! Look at me!! I'm FIRST! I'm the first bloom of the year. Woo Hoo!
Heather: Oh, calm down. You're not first. I've been blooming for weeks now. My blossoms are tinier than yours, but I've got a lot more to show than you do.
Unidentified: What about me? I'm here! Over here...now look carefully. See, I'm blooming, too! What? I'm a weed? Is there something wrong with that?
Daffodil: We're next! We're next! We're almost ready!
Daffodil: Um, hello? It's a little drafty in here. I think someone took a bite out of me!
Bleeding Heart: Watch out, coming through! You haven't seen anything yet. Give me a few more weeks and I'll be stunning!
About Face Rose: I can't wait to bloom again. Last year I had my ups and downs. Lots of gorgeous blooms, but then the deer kept pruning them off. Then in the Fall the lady and her guy moved me over here on the other side of the house by the stone steps, behind Bleeding Heart. Might be a little bit safer...at least I hope so. Sally Holmes is hiding beside me, too. She'll probably have the best chance.
Day Breaker Rose: Wish I could say the same! She says I'm one of her favorites, but then I got put over here by Ceanothus and Verbena. The deer don't bother them, so maybe they won't notice me?? I'll do my best (look at all my new growth!) but I'm not holding my breath!
Hydrangea: Yoo Hoo! Hey look! I'm sprouting new leaves! I got moved around, too. Wonder what it will be like over by this wall?
Marigold: Argh. I'm not looking so great. Doesn't she know I'm dead? I'm an annual for goodness sake... I'm DONE! Well, I was AMAZING last summer! One of her favorites and those long legged deer never did touch me. Ha! I know she'll be planting a lot of my relatives this spring.
Yellow Leaf Barberry: Hi! I'm new around here...just got planted late last fall. No, I don't bloom but I do have some really nice colored leaves. I'm just the thing for showing off some of you fancy bloomers around here. I've got a cousin, Rose Glow Barberry around here somewhere, too. Glad to meet you!
Snapdragon: Okay, I'm a bit messy looking, I know, but I came through the winter just fine. All I need is a little trimming up and I'll be another early bloomer. All the books say the deer don't like to eat me....but those little fawns hadn't been taught any better and they nibbled my blossoms anyway. Maybe they'll be smarter this year.
Creeping Baby's Breath: Is it Spring? I'm just peeking out to see. I was a puny little seedling last year, and not much to speak of, but since this is my second year I'm looking forward to showing off a little! :)
Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia: Checking in and doing fine! This is my second year, too. The lady wasn't too crazy about me last year, so I figure I REALLY have to put on a show this season in order to stay in the garden. Just wait. I'll be great!
Sweet William: This might be my year to shine. I'm a biennial, so I didn't do much of anything last year except dodge deer hooves. They like to use my bedding area as a pathway. So sad...lots of my family didn't survive the trampling. But we'll be alright. We're really good self-seeders if we just get the chance to bloom. Wait and see!
Even with the sun shining it was quite chilly outside for a mere mortal like me, so I left the chattering garden for the warmth and comfort of my house. I'll check back with the plants another day. Sounds like they'll be watching for my return. :)
4 comments:
My, they're a noisy bunch. Looks like the deer like to munch on daffodils? And your marigolds look like they belong over here on Laurel Lane. :)
Maddy clapped all through reading the post with me. We both loved the pictures and tour through your garden.
I love your blog. You always makes me smile. I keep telling myself I need to just journal my blog too, but I don't think I can make it quite as entertaining as yours. You are a GREAT writer.
Maddy and I walked by your house today, and we waved hello to all the garden friends. Your street is certainly a good hill to walk up. I may wait until the sinus infection is done to try it again.
Post a Comment