Sunday, April 18, 2010

In The Sewing Room

I got to spend several hours in my sewing room yesterday. Here's a couple shots of what my "playroom" looks like:

That's my 30+ year old Bernina on the left, which was joined a few years ago by a serger, both of which I use consistently. The shelf in the window was found at a garage sale. I use it for storing/displaying my threads. The window sill holds all kinds of miscellaneous sewing stuff.

When we first moved here a year and a half ago I was not thrilled with the bright yellow walls and dark blue trim in this room, but what do you know? It's kind of grown on me and I decided not to change it after all. At least not yet. :)


Here's my work table. The whole surface is covered with a cutting mat and I love it! At the moment it is also covered in my current project, but usually at least 2/3 of the table is cleared for use. The far edge of the table generally has bits and pieces of this, that, and the other thing piled "neatly". There's a bulletin board for little notes of information that I need to keep, and next to it is a calendar made by a few granddaughters. Notice the big trash can...it gets used when I'm cutting stuff.


But not while I'm actively sewing. When the machines are running, I am a thread flipper. No matter where I position the trash (and I've tried all sizes, shapes, and arrangements), I always end up with thread on the floor to clean up. So....I don't even try to be careful anymore. I just flip those threads after they are cut, because I have to clean the floor afterwards anyway! Does anyone else do this?


The other wall has an ironing board, but it's rather boring looking, so I didn't take a photo. And the dark blue closet contains my miscellaneous fabric stash and other random items.

After a few hours of cutting, sewing, serging and flipping threads yesterday, here is what I ended up with:


I just love this pattern. It's so easy to do. The local granddaughters love wearing this style, and I hope my Virginia girls will also like them! (Wink!)




Ah, and here's a ruffly little onesie dress. Too cute. :) I enjoyed my afternoon in the sewing room!


4 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

I'm impressed with all of them, but I especially love that ruffly onesie dress. Wow! Thanks for the tour of your play room.

Wandering Soul said...

What a great idea for the onsie dress! I shall have to try that out ;) Also, could you recommend a good serger for me? I'm looking into getting one in the future for something I'm starting up and need a good quality serger.

Wish I had a room dedicated to that, how awesome!

Dorothy said...

You can't go wrong with a Janome! :)

I love having a dedicated sewing room, but it took 25 years to get one. Maybe you'll get lucky sooner than I did!

Katie Lewis said...

Oooh. I whole sewing room all to yourself! Someday, someday...