Saturday, April 17, 2010

Plantings

Yesterday was a splendid day for a little gardening. On impulse (okay, I'd been thinking about it a couple days) I invited my Mom and we went to a local nursery to see what I might be tempted by. By golly, there WERE a few things there that convinced me to take them home and give them a place where they might be admired!

So, first I got out my trusty (and muddy) tools and got to work moving several older plants to new places througout the garden.


These were also very nice to have:


But a gardeners very best friend is the strong, willing husband who comes home and says, "Where do you want me to dig?" Ah, yes, he's great. :) I would have taken his picture, too, but I was a little busy!

Meet my brand new rose: Double Knockout! It's a shrub rose that will be covered in red blossoms this summer. At least that's the plan. I asked my Super Guy to remove an old scraggly lavender and dig a really BIG hole for the new rose in one of my upper terraces (where it will be very difficult for a deer to snack on.)


This is Daybreaker. One of my absolute favorites. Last year every single time she started blooming I was completely thrilled with how pretty it was...and then the local deer pruned off all the blossoms. And part of the stems. We went through that cycle about....four different times, I think. So now Daybreaker is planted in the same terrace as Knockout where it will be safe(er). Wish us luck!


Meet Santa Claus. Sorry, the name wasn't my choice! It's an upright fuschia I'm trying out. We'll see how it goes.


Impatiens for shady places...like right below my front porch. Hardly ever gets ANY sun. Mom and I decided the red will provide a nice bright touch in the shadows.


I didn't get those planted yesterday. We had a great bowl of soup with spelt biscuits on the side, and then Super Guy and I went for a long walk on the other side of the river. It really was a splendid day!

2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Oh, it's so fun to have new plants. These will be great additions to your beautiful yard. And where would we be without out super guys?

JuliaKoponick said...

You inspire me to think about what I might do with a yard if I ever have one. Thanks for all the beautiful pictures!