I was carefully planting a small Rudbeckia in the front yard when a large bird flew overhead and landed on top of a lightpole by our house.
He was very LOUD and instead of pecking at the pole, he called out several more times. I told Ken what was going on when I ran inside to get the camera, and he said, "So THAT'S who is making all the racket!" The bird was still there when I got out into the driveway, so I quickly got the camera ready to shoot, and when I looked up again....he was gone! Oh, I was disappointed. But I got a good look at him and was able to find his picture quickly in an identification book we own.
The bird is a Pileated Woodpecker, and it's the first one I've ever seen. He sure reminds of of Woody Woodpecker! Anyone else remember that cartoon? I'll be keeping my eyes and ears open to spot this bird again.
1 comment:
I'll bet the woodpeckers love the woods behind your house. I think their square holes are so fascinating.
Post a Comment