Friday, May 14, 2010

What the Neighbor Said

"That's gonna be a lotta work." That's what Karen's husband said as he walked by with his little floppy dog named Bella, and observed our lovely pile of newly delivered hemlock bark mulch.


Well, maybe so. I got started right away, shoveling wheelbarrow loads full and taking it out back to freshen the flower beds.


It was nice out back. This little petunia and I were doing just fine in the shady afternoon garden.


Nearby is the lovely rhododendron. Last year there wasn't a single bloom...the deer ate off every bud. Guess they weren't as hungry this winter because the shrub is now covered in these bold blossoms.


This petunia is basking in the sunshine nearby. I know how it feels! We've had so much rain lately.


Ah, just look at that blue sky above the treetops!


The birds are twittering back and forth constantly in the woods this afternoon. I may have work to do, but with all this wonderful company....well, it hardly seems like "a lotta work". Instead of that, it feels more like what Ken likes to call it: Therapeutic. Ahhhhh...


3 comments:

Betty aka Fudgie said...

Dorothy...is hemlock bark okay for the doggies? I saw it yesterday but know nada about it!

Dorothy said...

We don't currently have a dog, so I wasn't even thinking about it, but a quick google search tells me that it's safe. This mulch is also known for having less slivers, which I'm glad of!

Kathy Haynie said...

Yes, I prefer the hemlock too, because of fewer slivers. I love barkdust therapy. Have fun!